Thursday, July 26, 2007

Shuffleitis

I've been running into a problem with my iPod lately. It's a problem that I have created a brand new word for - Shuffleitis. Shuffleitis occurs when you run into a string of songs on your iPod where you continually have to fast forward to the next song. I can probably blame this predicament on myself, since I was the one who loaded all the music on the dang thing. I have come to the conclusion that there are 3 cures for this condition:

1. Trim the unnecessary fat from the library. While this method would prove to be extremely time consuming, it would result in remedying the frustrating symptoms that are brought on by Shuffleitis.

2. Create custom playlists. This solution basically takes the randomness out of the equation, as the user is in complete control of what songs come up, as well as the order in which they are played. This takes any surprise element out of the listening experience, but you are left with a group of songs you know you'll be satisfied with.

3. Target in on specific albums/artists. There's nothing wrong with admitting that you are in love with the entire Kenny Chesney catalog. For those of you that have that artist that can do no wrong, just cue them up and select "All". This can also apply to those albums that you can play from front to back without skipping a song. While these types of albums tend to be few and far between these days, they are still out there.

In closing, I hope I've been able to reveal the best ways to overcome this evil condition. If any of you out there happen to have any insight to cures for Shuffleitis, I encourage you to leave your feedback here.

3 comments:

Jesse said...

Well, let's see. I started making custom playlists with titles like
"mellow", "hard rock", and "a good mix." The issue with that is, you end up hearing the same songs quite frequently. I have felt the need to change those too. I will come up with another idea.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally burned out with the same ole songs on my ipod too. I've been listenting to more and more radio. I almost need to scrap everything and start over.
MH

HD said...

Hmmm.... i think making custom playlists is a better choice(well...that's what i do!!) but as Jesse said you end up haering the same old songs.... but i make sure every single song in my ipod is a part of atleast one playlist... That ways i dont miss on anything... and yeah i do update the songs on my ipod...say every month...