Sunday, December 17, 2006

A lost craft

Another holiday season is upon us, which in our household means that a special birthday has arrived. My better half's birthday is today. Right now, she's out celebrating with some friends, and I hope she's having a kickass evening. I wish I could be out with her, but our little munchkin needs monitoring. Plus, it's my turn to get up with Evie in the morning, so it's probably better that I'm at home right now. Chronicling my life on the Internet. But I digress...

I can't remember when I started this tradition (it has to be a good 7 years ago, if not more), but I've always recorded a song or 2 for Shellster's birthday. I just wanted to give her something different than the usual spa gift certificate, or whatever. It's something she could hold on to forever. Well, I really got in under the wire this year. I just got up from the basement recording studio, and the CD has been burned. I always seem to suffer from writer's block around this time (or maybe I always suffer from writer's block). I was a bit depressed when I fired up the ol' 8-track, and the last song I worked on was her birthday song for last year. I need to get those creative juices flowing again. But I digress...

Hopefully she digs what I came up with this year. The 1st track is an original ditty that I've been tinkering around with for the past few days. Hopefully no one else will ever hear it, because I've always found my original tunes to fall short. However, I will share with you the B-side to the annual Shelly's Birthday single. It's a cover of "On My Way" from Ben Kweller's album of the same name. Give it a listen and let me know if I should quit my day job or not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna hear the original! Stop holding out on us! I am glued to your blog until I get what I demand

Anonymous said...

My Birthday song this year was one of the best. Joe - you should really post it for everyone. I look forward to my birthday song all year long. It's the best part of my B-day.

Anonymous said...

POST IT!