Friday, October 24, 2008

In Your Honor, I Would Die Tonight


So I've got my turntable set up in the computer room (which I'm sure my wife absolutely loves), and I decided to bust out some old records and give 'em a spin. One album that I haven't really listened to in awhile is spinning now - In Your Honor by the Foo Fighters. I thought was an OK album when it came out - nothing revolutionary, just the same old reliable standards by a band I had loved since day one. But giving the record a new listen tonight, I have gained a newfound appreciation for it.

The first thing I thought about when I put the record on was the fact that this came out the same week my daughter was born, which is a pretty momentous occasion in itself. I actually got a leaked copy of the album a few weeks earlier, and I was thinking about putting the acoustic side of this record on in the delivery room, to hopefully bring some peace and serenity into the situation. Alas, that never happened, as things had gotten crazier than we had ever planned. But I digress.........

So, I'm currently spinning the "rock" side of the album, and I completely forgot how many solid tunes there are on this album! The title track gets things off on an anthemic start, which leads into the rockin' "No Way Back", followed by radio hit "Best of You". Not too bad for side A, eh?

Side B starts off with "DOA", a song that should have been a huge hit in an alternate universe. Next up is "Hell" - 2 minutes of schorching guitar and drum wizardry. "The Last Song" finishes up side B - basically the bastard child of "Breakout" from their third album. I'm now making my way to side C, and I just wanted to say that I've been very happy to revisit this one after a long break. The rock side is way solid, and I can't wait to give the acoustic side a spin and discover some old favorites all over again.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

I love that ablum. You have inspired me to listen to it this week in, hopefully, not my last week at ADC

Unknown said...

Good call Joe...I am going to throw that on as well.